101 in 1,001 Days
This is the list that I started working on back in August of 2013. I didn’t get to all of it but I do feel pretty good about how much I did get around to doing. If anything, it gave me ideas when I needed something new to work on. Here’s my final update…
Starting Date: August 5, 2013
Ending Date: May 2, 2016
If it’s crossed out, it’s done!
- Write 3 songs (2/3). I started a third song but just didn’t finish it.
- Learn to play and sing 10 songs on my ukulele (5/10).
Learn to play and sing 10 new songs on the guitar (10/10).
- Play through Suzuki Book 1 on the violin. I can play most of the pieces!
Practice and learn 3 new classical piano pieces of moderate difficulty (3/3).
- Listen mindfully to 15 recorded classical pieces of my choice and learn about them (1/15).
- Improvise in all 7 modes (0/7).
- Answer 50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind. (16/50) Well, I tried!
Make a list of 100 things that make me happy (100/100). Have coffee at a coffeeshop alone or with a friend 10 times (10/10). Take an online class.
- Make a list of 20 things I like about myself.
Get 2 full body massages (2/2). Buy 3 dresses for myself (3/3). Participate in 3 girls’ nights out (or in) (3/3 – Drinks at Hacienda 08/12/13, DCP Christmas Exchange 12/15/13; birthday party).
- Meditate or practice music and imagery 5 times (0/5).
Take 5 bubble baths by myself (5/5).
- Get up earlier than everyone else and enjoy my coffee alone 10 times (0/10). I have started staying up way too late to get up early, but this has given me more time to myself, so I guess I did meet the goal of this one in that way.
- Visit Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
Music Therapy (8)
Create 2 new singalong packets for my groups (2/2).
- Finish reading 3 (nonfiction) books about music and/or music therapy (2/3).
Buy new instruments for my music therapy groups.
- Get website up to date.
Download and use 8 new songs for lyric analysis (8/8).
- Come up with and use 4 new songwriting interventions (3/4).
Get my business accounting set up with software.
- Participate in a music therapy research project. This was supposed to happen but just never did.
- Publish an e-book.
- Get 250 likes on Facebook (A Life in Tune) (213/250).
- Get 100 followers on my blog (can be email subscribers, Bloglovin’, or another feed).
Write and publish 350 blog posts (350/350).
- Make $75 on Textbroker ($20/$75). I stopped doing this because I just didn’t have the time for it.
Make $50 on my blog. Write a guest post on another blog.
In the Kitchen (6)
Can green beans. Try at least 20 new recipes (20/20). (Fried Eggplant Sticks, Salsa Verde Chicken Tostadas, Turkey Stuffed Peppers, Sautéed Apples and Onions w/ Sausage, Baked Spaghetti Squash with Cheese, Sweet Potato Fries, Garlic Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Squash Quesadillas, Sweet Potato Irish Nachos, Potato Pancakes, Sweet Potato Chili, Turkey Mini Meatloaf, Chicken with Peppers and Onions, Pork Chops with Apples and Onions, Homemade Granola Bars, Light Pasta with Mushrooms and Onions, Paella, Salmorejo, Tenderloin with Peppers, Zucchini and Mozarella Fritatta)
- Make homemade sangria.
Make homemade pesto. Grow basil. Make homemade apple pie using the apples from our apple tree.
- Order a Friday takeout dinner from Vecchio’s or eat at one of Vecchio’s Thursday night dinners. This place actually closed several months ago.
Catch up with the True Blood series. Catch up with the Walking Dead series.
- Watch the Wizard of Oz while listening to Pink Floyd album.
- See 3 plays (1/3).
Attend a concert (popular music).
- Attend 3 orchestra/band concerts (0/3).
Eat at 5 restaurants on my list of places to eat (1. Madeline’s, 2. Eclipse, 3. an Indian restaurant, 4. Ben and Penny’s, and 5. one of the nice Japanese restaurants in town) (5/5). See 5 movies in the theater (5/5). Watch 15 movies I have never seen before (15/15) (Life of Pi, Catching Fire, Grave Encounters, The Conjuring, Mom’s Night Out, Divergent, The Other Woman, The Giver, This Is Where I Leave You, Cinderella, Aloha, Mazerunner, Babadook, Mockingjay, Part 1, Mockingjay, Part 2). Host a cookout/pool party. Have a bonfire party.
- Have people over for dinner 5 times (3/5). I didn’t include potlucks where we had people over and everyone contributed. I only counted times that we had people over and provided the entire meal.
Healthy Living (4)
Get back to my pre-Felix weight. Attend a belly-dancing class. Attend 25 yoga classes (20/25). Walk/run 500 miles (500/500). Updated 07/23/15
Take the kids to the drive-in. Finish Felix’s baby book. Breastfeed Felix for at least 12 months. Have 4 Mommy/Ani days (4/4).
- Have a slumber party in the living room with the kids.
Take funny photos in a photo booth with the kids. Paint with Anya 4 times (4/4). Take Anya to Holiday World. Take the kids to a park 10 times (10/10).
- Play in the rain with the kids.
Camp out in the backyard.
Watch our wedding video.
- Complete a marriage workshop or workbook.
Go on 12 dates (12/12). Go on a weekend trip without the kids.
Visit another country. Take the kids to the beach. Take the kids to the St. Louis Zoo. Go on 3 weekend trips (3/3).
Giving Back (6)
Donate 100 coupons to someone in the military (100+/100). Buy someone’s order in the drive thru. Volunteer at a soup kitchen. Give $550 to charities (not church-related) ($615/$550). (United Way, St. Jude’s Trike-a-Thon)
- Volunteer 20 hours (12/20).
- Perform 5 random acts of kindness (3/5).
Green Living (3)
- Use my reusable grocery bags 15 times (13/15).
Switch 3 cleaning products to all-natural cleaners (3/3) (bathroom cleaner, toilet bowl cleaner, window/mirror cleaner).
- Take recyclables to be recycled 5 times (0/5).
Literary (11) – I apparently got really crazy with the e-books. I think I had just started reading things on my Kindle and was excited about all the free books I was finding and just couldn’t keep up!
Read the entire (Catholic) Bible.
- Read 2 books about cleaning and/or home organization (0/2).
- Read 1 e-book about healthy living.
- Read 2 e-books about making money (0/2).
- Read 2 e-books about saving money (0/2).
- Read 3 self-improvement e-books (0/3).
- Read 3 e-books about time management (0/3).
- Read 1 e-book about parenting.
- Complete 2 devotional books (0/2).
Read 25 novels (25/25). Attend a book discussion or book club meeting.
Just to Say I Did (5)
- Participate in a flash mob.
- Save $1,000 on groceries and toiletries using coupons ($455.38/$1,000). I had to stop doing this because the app I was using didn’t save my information when my phone died. I’m pretty sure I was much closer to $1,000 than this.
Establish more of a presence on Twitter. Figure out Pinterest. Make another 101 in 1,001 list.
It actually took me quite awhile to come up with a new list, just because I was more mindful of what I really thought I would be able to do in the next 1,001 days. To see what I decided to focus on this time around, check out this page.