Here is the obligatory end-of-the-year quiz I do every year…
1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before? Visited Punta Cana, traveled to San Francisco, started to let others hear my original music
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I actually did a lot of my resolutions and have more intentions for 2017.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes – I have two cousins who had babies, as well as most of the people who had miscarriages within the same time frame as I did last year. It was actually really difficult for me.
4. Did anyone close to you die? No
5. What countries did you visit? Dominican Republic
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016? More confidence in myself, contentment, to feel appreciated
7. What date(s) from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? I don’t have exact dates for all of these, but these were important events this year:
- Winter Wellness Weekend in January
- Finishing travel school in March
- Becoming a home-based travel agent in April
- Mumford and Sons concert in April
- Camping in Brown County in May
- The 10-mile River Run in May
- May 17 – when I ran into an acquaintance who would later become a really good friend and music partner
- May 19 – what would have been our due date
- August 26 – We bought a minivan.
- Labor Day weekend spent camping in Lincoln City – this was also the weekend we found out we were pregnant last year
- Lumineers concert in September
- October 1 – Ran the Evansville Half Marathon
- Week of the fall festival – the anniversary of our ultrasound, doctor’s appointment, etc.
- October 8/9 – the anniversary of my miscarriage
- First weekend in November – My journal retreat in Ferdinand
- October 19 – October 26 – a week spent in Punta Cana
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Recording my songs
9. What was your biggest failure? I don’t think I really had a failure this year, but there were lots of disappointments.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Nothing too serious…Just overwhelming sadness at times
11. What was the best thing you bought? The mini-van
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My close friends who have been supportive during the difficult times, the women in my journal circle
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? The people close to me who are supposed to be my support but aren’t because they can’t see past what they want long enough to notice what I might need.
14. Where did most of your money go? San Francisco trip and our dog’s heat stroke fiasco
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Working on music and recording my original songs
16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2016? The original songs I recorded (Wanted, Strangers, Don’t Walk Away), Thompkins Square Park
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? The same, though I was hoping I would feel better
ii. thinner or fatter? The same
iii. richer or poorer? Probably poorer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Feeling good about myself
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Worrying about what other people think
20. How did you spend Christmas? We spent Christmas Eve with my family and my mom’s family. We spent Christmas Day as a family and then with my husband’s family later that evening.
21. What was your favorite TV program? The Walking Dead, Modern Family, This Is Us
22. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? No
23. What was the best book you read? Come Away With Me by Karma Brown, The Lemongrass Hope by Amy Impellizzeri, Lies and Other Acts of Love by Kristy Woodson Harvey
24. What was your greatest musical discovery? Mumford and Sons
25. What did you want and get? A trip out of the country
26. What did you want and not get? A healthy pregnancy, a trip to Europe
27. What was your favorite film of this year? I saw very few movies, but Bad Moms was funny.
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 35. We celebrated the weekend before by going to Escape Room and then to Stockwell’s with some friends. That day, I had lunch with a friend and then we went out to dinner at Biaggi’s.
29.How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015? Comfortable and I have finally given into leggings.
30. What kept you sane? My Starbucks nights, Book club, Journal circle, working on music
31.Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Marcus Mumford
32. What political issue stirred you the most? Abortion, intactivism
33. Who did you miss? The baby I won’t get to meet.
34. Who was the best new person you met? He isn’t new, but I have gotten to know Franc better.
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016: I need to put myself first and stop letting other people dictate how I live my life, even if it sometimes means that me doing what I need results in them not getting what they want.