It’s so hard to believe that another year has literally just flown by. 2016 has been a difficult transition year, so I really hope that 2017 is better. This is what I have planned for the year:
- January Wellness Weekend
- Weekend away with the kids
- Anniversary weekend away
- Family vacation (We don’t really know where this will be yet, thought we’ve tossed out several ideas that include Florida, Myrtle beach, northeastern states, Niagara Falls, somewhere in Canada, some European destination, etc.)
- Read 30 books. (0/30)
- Read 2 “self-help” books or books about fostering creativity. (0/2)
- Daily Q&A – This is a book I have that has a question each day that I have to answer.
- Post in my blog at least 5 times a month or 60 blog posts. I have neglected my blog for quite a bit of time and I would like to get into posting a little more regularly. (0/60)
- Work through the Right to Write. (43 chapters) (0/43)
- 500 Writing Prompts – 3 writing prompts a month (36 total) (0/36)
- Work through Writing Better Lyrics. (2 chapters per month, 24 total) (0/24)
I have several other books I am looking forward to reading/writing with, but I am really trying to make this list of goals realistic and possible, so I will re-evaluate in a month or two and see if I can possibly add something.
- Practice and complete a daily devotional. I received Journey to the Heart: Daily Meditations on the Path to Freeing Your Soul by Melody Beattie, so I will be using this one. In fact, I have already started it.
- Create one new Singalong packet for my Singalongs (for work). (0/1)
- Learn at least 3 new Classical pieces on the piano. (0/3)
- Work on learning at least 3 of the modes. (0/3)
- Listen to 10 classical music pieces. I have a new book about listening to Beethoven’s piano music that I intend to use for this purpose. (0/10)
- Earn at least 20 CMTE’s (continuing education). (0/20)
Home and Organization:
- Complete Bonus Room Transformation.
- Fix the other part of the deck and stain it.
- Wash windows and glass doors in the house.
- Go through and re-organize the pantry.
- Inflatable Fun Factory
- Game Night
- Movie Night
- Gatti Town or Chuck E. Cheese
- Make a home video with the kids.
- Paint with the kids.
- Provide at least 3 meals at the Ronald McDonald house. (0/3)
- Volunteer at the soup kitchen at least once.
- Run the 10-mile River Race in May.
- Complete at least 5 fitness challenges. Doing these kinds of challenges helps me to keep carving out time to do something physical and it gives me a chance to focus on some areas that I feel like I need to work on. (0/5)
- Drink at least 64 ounces of water on most days. I need to get back into the habit of drinking more water.
- Do something active at least 3 times a week. This can be running, riding the exercise bike, walking, or strength training, or whatever.
- Eat at 8 new restaurants on our list of places to try. (0/8)
- I plan to cook at least 10 international meals this year. I typically like to focus on one country a month, but based on my experience last year, I think it might be a good idea to recognize the fact that some months might be busier than others. (0/10)
- Take at least one day to “retreat” and work on my writing, music, etc.
- Do something nice for myself at least 20 times. This could mean taking a bath, spending time playing the piano just for fun, buying a piece of clothing that I want, reading a book by the fire even when I still have work to do, or anything that contributes to the idea of doing something nice for myself. (0/20)
Last year, I made it a goal to also recognize when something became too much or was no longer meeting the need a goal was intended to meet and allow myself to cross it off the list, so I plan to keep going with that idea in 2017. I am slowly getting better about not freaking out every time I don’t finish something completely. On the other hand, I could always add something, too!
Another big area that I think I desperately need to work on in 2017 is continuing to surround myself with positive people who make me feel good about myself. I have realized recently how important it is to have appropriate support in order to be the best you can be, and this is an area of my life that kind of needs an overhaul. I can feel myself already beginning to set boundaries with the people in my life who don’t do this for me. It’s really nothing personal; it’s just that I want a more fulfilling and satisfying life and I deserve that; we all do. I’m hoping that making this kind of change will continue to help me to increase confidence in myself and help me to be more comfortable with who I am.
Along with surrounding myself with people who are supportive and encouraging, I also need to spend more time in environments that are positive for me and doing things that foster creativity and make me feel fulfilled. This is all part of a larger plan to take better care of myself.