Beating the Blues
I’ve mentioned before how I don’t really like January and how difficult the winter can be for me. I know that we are finally getting out of the winter weather around here but I know some parts of the country are still dealing with some nasty weather, so I thought I would share a few things that I do to combat the winter blues.
1. Go away for the weekend. This year, Eric and I went to a Wellness Weekend a few hours away in the middle of January. It was just what we needed and at the right time.
2. Plan a summer vacation. Maybe it’s just me, but I LOVE planning vacations. This is the time of year when I get bored so I start making decisions about possible trips for the year (or sometimes even the year after!).
3. Take an online class. I’ve really been into taking online classes lately, so I really like this idea. I took a 6-week songwriting course that started in February and it was really perfect timing. It gave me something to do when it was too cold to do much outside.
4. Find a good book to get excited about. I’ve recently started to read even more than I used to and nothing beats sitting in front of the fireplace with some coffee and a good book in hand.
5. Schedule time to hang out with friends. Notice that I said “schedule.” If you’re like me, you won’t do it if you don’t schedule it. I try to make myself get out of the house at least once a week, either with a friend or on my own at Starbucks.
6. Workout. It is so hard to get yourself to work out when it is cold outside. I totally know. But if you can talk yourself into it, you will be glad you did!
7. Start a new hobby. January is a great time to start something new! Consider doing something you’ve never done before or have been interested in, such as journaling, knitting, learning an instrument, etc.
What do you do to battle the winter blues?