I do this “survey” every year. I almost didn’t do it this year, but decided to go ahead and do it at the last minute! So here it is….
1. What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before? Lots of things! Took 2 small children to Europe for 17 days, got chickens, and ran my first 5k
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I actually did do many of them and will be writing resolutions again for 2015
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? No
4. Did anyone close to you die? My aunt’s mom died just a few days ago:( Plus, several people I visited in the nursing home.
5. What countries did you visit? Spain, Portugal, and Morocco
6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014? More time for myself
7. What date(s) from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? I don’t have exact dates, but these were important events this year:
Felix’s first birthday (April 3), Felix’s first birthday party, our amazing 17-day trip to Europe and Morocco in May, Anya’s 4th birthday (June 4), Anya’s surprise fairytale birthday party, our weekend trip to St. Louis with the kids, our weekend away by ourselves in Bloomington, getting chickens, my first 5k in September, being able to run a 10k, the day we got our first egg from our chickens, and my 33rd birthday (Dec. 12)
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Taking 2 kids to Europe:) And being able to save enough money that we now have the same amount in our travel fund that we had last year, despite spending some of it on Europe; we also are really close to having the amount we had in our savings before we bought my husband’s new vehicle last November.
9. What was your biggest failure? I don’t think I can really say I had a failure because even though I may not have done everything I intended to do, I have improved my life in lots of ways over the past year. Life is a journey and not a destination. I never expect to have a perfect year or to ever be a perfect person. It is always a work-in-progress, and it always will be!
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Mastitis sucks!!
11. What was the best thing you bought? Our plane tickets to Europe
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Open-minded people who like to learn new things
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? People who pretend that their lives are perfect, and in the process, making others feel bad about theirs, especially when, in the end, you find out they have the same problems or issues you are having trouble dealing with
14. Where did most of your money go? Europe
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Our European vacation
16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2014? Let It Go
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier
ii. thinner or fatter? The same
iii. richer or poorer? Richer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Being present in the moment
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Worrying
20. How did you spend Christmas? We had lots of Christmas get-togethers but they were actually spread out so that we had a chance to enjoy our gifts in between each of them.
21. Did you fall in love in 2014? Always:)
23. What was your favorite TV program? The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? No
25. What was the best book you read? The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner
26. What was your greatest musical discovery? This is kind of a rediscovery, but I started listening to more Ani DiFranco in November; I also got some great intervention ideas at the music therapy conference I attended in the same month.
27. What did you want and get? A European vacation
28. What did you want and not get? A vacation for just the two of us, time to play the piano for myself
29. What was your favorite film of this year? I saw very few movies, but Mockingjay was really good
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? It started out with my daughter’s Christmas program at school. I donated 92 ounces of breastmilk and then was stressed out by an unexpected work thing I had to resolve quickly before going to lunch with family. We went out for dinner that evening and then my husband got sick. Parts of it were good, but it wasn’t the day I had hoped for. I guess next year, I will have to make sure that I get some time to myself to read, take a bubble bath, play the piano, or something I want to do. I turned 33.
31.How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014? Comfortable
32. What kept you sane? My Starbucks nights
33.Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I really didn’t have time to mess with anything like that.
34. What political issue stirred you the most? Birth rights, intactivism
35. Who did you miss? A friend I don’t see often enough:(
36. Who was the best new person you met? That’s a tough one!
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014: No one else is going to take care of you, so you might as well take care of you.