To counteract all the hormones, lack of sleep, and overall stress I am expecting now that this little bundle of joy has FINALLY made his arrival, I am working on coming up with things I can do just for myself in the next few weeks or so…
1. A week or so ago, Groupon had a great deal for a Starbucks giftcard (pay $5 for a $10 giftcard). I got one for myself and am looking forward to some caffeinated goodness (spaced out between the nursing, of course).
2. When I went in for a prenatal massage a couple of weeks ago, I had a different therapist than I had originally scheduled with because my original therapist was sick. This therapist is working on her lymp drainage training and told me to give her a call after I have the baby and she will come to my house and give me a free treatment. There’s no way I would turn down any kind of free massage! And this should help some of the water retention to go away sooner rather than later…
3. For those of you who know us well, we love to have a glass of wine (or two) on occasion (ok, frequently). I have missed my glass of dry red more during this pregnancy than my first, so I am really looking forward to having some. Of course, the timing will be spaced appropriately with nursing so that no babies are harmed in the process;)
The bottle on the left is a bottle that Eric and Anya gave me for after the baby is born. It is a Chilean wine that is our favorite and our normal go-to wine. The 3 bottles on the right are from our European trip last May. Because we got pregnant within only a couple months of returning home, we didn’t have time to drink all of it beforehand.
This is a part of a sample pack we bought while in Boppard, Germany. It is a really big wine region so we bought this package while there so we could try a little of several things.
This isn’t necessarily “just for me,” but a couple of months ago, we found a great deal on Groupon Getaways for the Chattanooga Choo Choo
in Chattanooga. We had been trying to decide where to go on vacation this year and we were hoping to be able to go while I am off on maternity leave. Chattanooga was one of our options and this kind of settled the deal for us. We got a room that cost less than $100 a night and includes a $25 restaurant credit every day that we are there (which is 5 nights). There are several restaurants at the hotel to choose from and this will certainly help cut down on costs. We have done a couple of weekend trips since returning from Europe last May but don’t have anything “big” planned for the near future until we see how our new little one deals with travel. I am looking forward to getting out of town by ourselves (that doesn’t have to do with a wedding, holiday, family get-together, but is just for the sake of travelling) for even just a few days.
5. While I was pregnant, I opted not to continue getting highlights. Even though it is probably fine, our doctor said it’s always better just to wait until after the pregnancy if possible. It wasn’t that big of a deal and saved us quite a bit of money, so I have not had it done since last summer. I already have an appointment made so that I can have it done. I hate to start spending the money again, but it will be nice to feel good about something since it will take awhile to get all the weight off again.
6. Now that I’m no longer pregnant, I don’t have to follow all the “food rules” of pregnancy, other than the seafood rule of no more than 2 6-ounce servings a week (because we are breastfeeding). It is nice to no longer have to worry about the “good” cheeses being pasteurized, Caesar salads, cold deli sandwiches, etc.