March and April
With the excitement of Felix’s 2nd birthday, Easter, and our trip to Disney, I never got around to posting about April. Oops! I’m going to go back to my New Year’s resolution about being ok with it if I don’t do everything on my list, so that’s how I’m choosing to deal with that. But anyway, here is an update on both March and April and what we plan to do in May.
- Disney World in April – We just returned so stay tuned for more information about our trip!
- Costa Rica in July (just me and Eric!) – Everything we needed to book is booked. We leave in 2 months!
- Possibly a weekend trip with the kids
- A weekend trip with just me and Eric
Family Fun – We hope to do something fun with the kids at least once a month and are planning to do the following activities as a family this year:
Movie Night Game Night
- Inflatable Fun Factory
- Hiking in the Woods
- Gatti Town
- Fire It Up
I have taken the kids to the zoo and Eric has taken them to Inflatable Fun Factory but we haven’t gone all together yet.
Service Projects – We would like to do at least one service “project” a month and are planning to participate in these service projects this year:
Provide Dinner at Ronald McDonald House– We did this in March, and it was so much fun! We are hoping to do it more often.
- Volunteer to work at the church social – This is coming up in May.
- Buy gifts for kids from the Giving Tree at church
- Soup kitchen
- Donate canned goods to The Food Pantry
- Continue to donate money to our church and other charities that we support – We are continuing to do this!
- Go for a walk and pick up trash
House Projects – These are a few things we’d like to accomplish around the house:
- Bonus room transformation (at least to start it)
Organize pantry Clean out refrigerator and freezers– This is now finished, thanks to the big “thawing” incident with the deep freeze.
- Clean windows
- Organize office
Organize recipes– Done
- Organize email accounts – I have gotten my Yahoo account under control (somewhat, anyway) but still need to work on my Gmail account.
- Organize computer files
- Organize social media
- Go through books
- Go through my clothes
- Go through the kids’ clothes (usually I do this when the seasons change)
- Go through the kids’ toys
Go through the kids’ books
- 365 Organizational Challenge – I finally had to stop doing this. It just wasn’t happening. I felt bad about it for a bit but reminded myself that this year, if something didn’t get done, I wasn’t going to dwell on it.
Just the Two of Us – We hope to make time to do something together at least once a month; these are some of the things we hope to do:
Dinner at Melting Pot– We did this in Orlando. Wellness Weekend in January
- Attend a play
Attend a wine dinner– We did this the last week of March and had a great time!
- Complete a couple’s daily devotional/meditation book we have had for awhile (or at least see how far we get!) – We haven’t started this yet.
See a movie– We saw The Loft on our Valentine’s Day date.
- Eat at Vecchio’s or pick up a carry-out meal on a Friday night
- Go for a run
- Go hiking together
- Learn a new classical piece on the piano – I am currently working on this!
Write at least one song Read at least one of my music books– I finally finished the book I’ve been working on for two years! Take an online songwriting class
- Play the violin more
- Listen to classical music regularly
- Stay within 2 pounds of my goal weight – I am finally very close to where I should be.
- Run a 10-mile race and a half marathon (both are in May) – I am up to 9 miles, so I am getting there! These races are in May, so I am hoping I am able to actually do them both!
- Work on strength training on a regular basis – We finished the book we were using a couple of months ago but are hoping to do a modified version of the book in that we will randomly draw exercise plans from the book and do them that way.
- Work on getting rid of the belly fat – This is a continuous battle that I’m not sure I will ever win:(
Complete a January Plank Challenge
Work through the book Journal to the Self– I finished reading this book and have tried some of the exercises.
- Work through the book The Artist’s Way – Getting ready to start this.
- Finish a rough draft of one of my e-books
- Answer 2 of the 50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind each month – I didn’t do this in April but will start again in May.
- Blog about my goals each month – I didn’t do this last month either but will start back up again, starting with this post!
- Complete 2 daily devotional books
- Participate in the Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge – I have completed 12 books for this and I’m in the middle of the 13th, but I have doubled up on some of the letters. Oh, well.
- Finish reading the (Catholic) Bible – I fell off the horse on this one. I don’t have much to read to finish but it’ll happen when it happens…
- Visit a friend in St. Louis
- Visit “the Woods” (where I did my graduate work)
Complete a 6-week Fresh Start challenge on Facebook
- Take at least 4 online classes – I have finished 2 of them and I’m deciding when to start the 3rd..
- Get at least 2 massages – I have had 1 of 2.
- Take at least 6 bubble baths – I am on 3 of 6, though the last one also consisted of Felix playing with his bath toys right next to me outside of the bath.
- Try to keep groceries and toiletries under a certain amount each month – We didn’t do so well in March, but a lot of it had to do with the freezer incident and replacing all that we lost. I think we are back on track for April.
- Try to save a certain amount in our Travel Savings account and our regular Savings account over the course of the year – We weren’t able to save much in March due to the random repairs we’ve had to pay for but I’m hoping we will save in April.
- Attempt to keep track of how much we save using coupons – So far so good!
- Attempt to keep track of how much we earn in rewards and reimbursements (coupon apps, Ebates, credit card rewards, etc.) –In March, we earned $10 in Amazon gift cards. In April, we earned $5 in Amazon gift cards and $5 in Starbucks gift cards.
- Attempt to sell a few of the bigger items we need to get rid of
Ideas to Explore:
- Essential Oils
Starting a book club– This actually happened in March and we are up and running. We have books chosen for the next 6 months.
- Eating more organically – We are doing more and more of this.
How are you doing with your goals?