October has always been one of my favorite months, but in light of what happened this month, it has been hard to enjoy it. Nevertheless, here is what did happen.
Disney World in April– I have written about our trip: Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom,Day 2 of Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, and Epcot. Costa Rica in July (just me and Eric!)– This happened in July and it was amazing. Check out my latest post! Possibly a weekend trip with the kids– We spent a weekend in St. Louis and visited Grant’s Farm, the St. Louis Zoo, and the Magic House. We also met up with some friends. The kids had a blast and it was just nice to get away for a weekend. A weekend trip with just me and Eric– We spent a weekend in Bloomington in October. It was a very different weekend than the one we planned, just because I was no longer pregnant. We drove up on Saturday and had lunch and wine at Oliver Winery. Then, we checked into our hotel and tried out the hot tub (another thing I couldn’t have done while pregnant). We went downtown a little early to get some coffee at a local coffee shop and just walk around for a bit. For dinner, we went to Anyetsang’s Little Tibet Restaurant, which served Indian, Tibetan, and Thai food. Eric had Pad Thai and I had two kinds of Tibetan dumplings. Afterwards, we hung out at a local book store, which I love doing and never get to do. Then, we went to the comedy club. It was really nice to have a good laugh for an hour or so. We headed to Baked after that, which is a custom cookie place open late. Once we got back to the hotel, we were really tired so we ended up crashing kind of early, but that’s ok. The next day, we got up and had a quick breakfast at the hotel before heading to hike some trails. I tried to run a little but, but it just didn’t feel good yet so we hiked most of the time. We had lunch at a little diner before heading home to pick up the kids.
Family Fun – We hope to do something fun with the kids at least once a month and are planning to do the following activities as a family this year:
Movie Night Game Night
- Inflatable Fun Factory
Hiking in the Woods
- Gatti Town
- Fire It Up
We have had a few game nights and some things going on at church that we attended this month. We also did a pumpkin patch and fall farm, as well as a nighttime corn maze that we do every year. We probably won’t get to everything on this list, but that will just have to be ok.
Of course, we went trick-or-treating. Anya was Tinkerbell and Felix was Captain Hook.
Service Projects – We would like to do at least one service “project” a month and are planning to participate in these service projects this year:
Provide Dinner at Ronald McDonald House– We did this in March, and it was so much fun! We are hoping to do it more often. Volunteer to work at the church social– We signed up to work but it started raining with no end in sight so they closed our booth and we didn’t actually get to do it, but it wasn’t for lack of trying!
- Buy gifts for kids from the Giving Tree at church – This will be coming up soon!
- Soup kitchen
- Donate canned goods to The Food Pantry
- Continue to donate money to our church and other charities that we support – We are continuing to do this!
- Go for a walk and pick up trash
House Projects – These are a few things we’d like to accomplish around the house:
- Bonus room transformation (at least to start it) – We are finally starting to work on this! I have gone through tons of toys and have several boxes full of toys and clothes that can now be moved out. My husband also cleaned off his desk (I haven’t seen the top of it since we moved in!) and we plan to sell it soon.
Organize pantry Clean out refrigerator and freezers–
- Clean windows – I cleaned all the windows in the house except for two of them, and only because I need help with them.
- Organize office
- Organize email accounts – I have gotten my Yahoo account under control (somewhat, anyway) but still need to work on my Gmail account.
- Organize computer files
- Organize social media
Go through books
- Go through my clothes
Go through the kids’ clothes– Go through the kids’ toys– I finally finished this but I feel like you can’t even really tell. I still need to get rid of the things we aren’t keeping and put some of the boxes in our yard barn for storage. Go through the kids’ books
Just the Two of Us – We hope to make time to do something together at least once a month; these are some of the things we hope to do:
Dinner at Melting Pot Wellness Weekend in January
- Attend a play
Attend a wine dinner
- Complete a couple’s daily devotional/meditation book we have had for awhile (or at least see how far we get!)
See a movie
- Eat at Vecchio’s or pick up a carry-out meal on a Friday night
Go for a run– We ran the 10-mile River Race together. Go hiking together– We did this several days in Costa Rica.
Learn a new classical piece on the piano Write at least one song Read at least one of my music books Take an online songwriting class
- Play the violin more – I have been doing some of this.
- Listen to classical music regularly
- Stay within 2 pounds of my goal weight – Doing well so far as far as I know!
Run a 10-mile race and a half marathon (both are in May)–I finished both of these races.
- Work on strength training on a regular basis –
- Work on getting rid of the belly fat –
Complete a January Plank Challenge
Work through the book Journal to the Self Work through the book The Artist’s Way– I finally finished!
- Finish a rough draft of one of my e-books
- Answer 2 of the 50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind each month – I have really dropped the ball on this one lately.
- Blog about my goals each month
- Complete 2 daily devotional books
- Participate in the Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge – I have completed 22 books for this and I am still reading.
- Finish reading the (Catholic) Bible – I am ALMOST finished.
- Visit a friend in St. Louis
- Visit “the Woods” (where I did my graduate work)
Complete a 6-week Fresh Start challenge on Facebook
- Take at least 4 online classes – I have finished 2 of them and in the middle of the 3rd.
Get at least 2 massages
- Take at least 6 bubble baths – I am on 5 of 6.
- Try to keep groceries and toiletries under a certain amount each month – I am starting to try to do this again, so hopefully we are more successful with the new “system” I am using.
- Try to save a certain amount in our Travel Savings account and our regular Savings account over the course of the year – We have been saving as much as we can but it seems like so many expenses are still coming up.
- Attempt to keep track of how much we save using coupons – I am no longer keeping track of this because of the mishap with my phone and the fact that I will never get that information back:(
- Attempt to keep track of how much we earn in rewards and reimbursements (coupon apps, Ebates, credit card rewards, etc.) – I need to find a better system for this next year.
- Attempt to sell a few of the bigger items we need to get rid of – We are getting ready to sell a few more items once we get around to it.
Ideas to Explore:
- Essential Oils – We are diffusing lots of combinations of oils and we have used several of them to treat things.
Starting a book club
- Eating more organically – We are doing more and more of this.
- Coupons – I am doing more online apps and electronic coupons, simply because I just don’t have the time to keep track of all the paper coupons.
I hope you got more done this month than I did! Hopefully, next month will be better…